ContentList volumes - List articles in this issue
Prognostic factors in complex regional pain syndrome 1: A systematic review
OBJECTIVE: The aim of this systematic review was to merge and summarize the current evidence about prognostic factors relevant to the course of complex regional pain syndrome 1.
METHODS: MEDLINE, Embase, PsychINFO, CENTRAL and screened reference lists of included studies were searched for studies of parameters associated with the prognosis of the condition. Studies investigating stroke-related complex regional pain syndrome were excluded.
RESULTS: Searches retrieved 2,577 references, of which 12 articles were included in the study. The preferred diagnostic criteria were the Veldman and the International Association for the Study of Pain criteria. The mean level of study quality was insufficient. A total of 28 prognostic factors was identified. Sensory disturbances and cold skin temperature appear to represent parameters associated with poor prognosis in complex regional pain syndrome 1. For many parameters the evidence is contradictory.
CONCLUSION: Evidence about prognostic factors for complex regional pain syndrome 1 is scarce, which prevents firm conclusions being drawn. Further high-quality aetiological and clinical research is needed.
Maria Wertli, Lucas M. Bachmann, Shira Schecter Weiner , Florian Brunner
Horten Center for Patient Oriented Research and Knowledge Transfer, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Zurich, Pestalozzistrasse 24, CH-8032 Zurich, Switzerland
- 1. Allen G, Galer BS, Schwartz L. Epidemiology of complex regional pain syndrome: a retrospective chart review of 134 patients. Pain 1999; 80: 539–544.
- 2. Duman I, Dincer U, Taskaynatan MA, Cakar E, Tugcu I, Dincer K. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy: a retrospective epidemiological study of 168 patients. Clin Rheumatol 2007; 26: 1433–1437.
- 3. Schwartzman RJ, Erwin KL, Alexander GM. The natural history of complex regional pain syndrome. Clin J Pain 2009; 25: 273–280.
- 4. Merskey H, Bogduk N. Classification of chronic pain: description of chronic pain syndrome and definitions of pain terms. 2nd ed. Seattle: IASP Press; 1994.
- 5. Marinus J, Moseley GL, Birklein F, Baron R, Maihofner C, Kingery WS, et al. Clinical features and pathophysiology of complex regional pain syndrome. Lancet Neurol 2011; 10: 637–648.
- 6. Perez RS, Zuurmond WW, Bezemer PD, Kuik DJ, van Loenen AC, de Lange JJ, et al. The treatment of complex regional pain syndrome type I with free radical scavengers: a randomized controlled study. Pain 2003; 102: 297–307.
- 7. Sandroni P, Benrud-Larson LM, McClelland RL, Low PA. Complex regional pain syndrome type I: incidence and prevalence in Olmsted County, a population-based study. Pain 2003; 103: 199–207.
- 8. Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC, Olkin I, Williamson GD, Rennie D, et al. Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis Of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA 2000; 19: 2008–2012.
- 9. Hayden JA, Cote P, Bombardier C. Evaluation of the quality of prognosis studies in systematic reviews. Ann Intern Med 2006; 21: 427–437.
- 10. Bejia I, Khalifa AB, Salah ZB, Bejaoui S, Touzi M, Bergaoui N. Predictifs factors of the algodystrophy evolution in a rheumatology department among 60 cases. Tunis Med 2005; 83: 163–167.
- 11. Dauty M, Renaud P, Deniaud C, Tortellier L, Dubois C. [Professional outcome of reflex sympathetic dystrophy.] Ann Readapt Med Phys 2001; 44: 89–94 (in French).
- 12. de Mos M, Huygen FJPM, van der Hoeven-Borgman M, Dieleman JP, Ch Stricker BH, Sturkenboom MCJM. Outcome of the complex regional pain syndrome. Clin J Pain 2009; 25: 590–597.
- 13. Eulry F, Aczel F, Vasseur P, Thomas E, Pattin S, Doury P. Treatment and evolution of algodystrophy of the foot. Retrospective study of 199 cases. Ann Med Interne 1990; 141: 20–25.
- 14. Goris RJ, Reynen JA, Veldman P. The clinical symptoms in post-traumatic dystrophy. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 1990; 134: 2138–2141.
- 15. Laulan J, Bismuth JP, Sicre G, Garaud P. The different types of algodystrophy after fracture of the distal radius. Predictive criteria of outcome after 1 year. J Hand Surg 1997; 22: 441–447.
- 16. Tan ECTH, van de Sandt-Renkema N, Krabbe PFM, Aronson DC, Severijnen RSVM. Quality of life in adults with childhood-onset of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome type I. Injury 2009; 40: 901–904.
- 17. van der Laan L, Veldman PH, Goris RJ. Severe complications of reflex sympathetic dystrophy: infection, ulcers, chronic edema, dystonia, and myoclonus. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1998; 79: 424–429.
- 18. Vaneker M, Wilder-Smith OH, Schrombges P, de Man-Hermsen I, Oerlemans H. Patients initially diagnosed as ‘warm’ or ‘cold’ CRPS 1 show differences in central sensory processing some eight years after diagnosis: a quantitative sensory testing study. Pain 2005; 115: 204–211.
- 19. Vaneker M, Wilder-Smith OHG, Schrombges P, Oerlemans HM. Impairments as measured by ISS do not greatly change between one and eight years after CRPS 1 diagnosis. Eur J Pain 2006; 10: 639–644.
- 20. Zyluk A. The natural history of post-traumatic reflex sympathetic dystrophy. J Hand Surg Br 1998; 23: 20–23.
- 21. Veldman PH, Reynen HM, Arntz IE, Goris RJ. Signs and symptoms of reflex sympathetic dystrophy: prospective study of 829 patients. Lancet 1993; 23: 1012–1016.
- 22. Delcambre B, Duquesnoy B, Baudeus G. Traitement des algodystrophies. Rev Rhum 1982; 49: 849–856.
- 23. Doury P, Dirheimer Y, Pattin S. Algodystrophy. Berlin: Springer; 1981.
- 24. Brunner F, Nauer M, Bachmann LM. Poor prognostic factors in complex regional pain syndrome 1: a Delphi survey. J Rehabil Med 2011; 43: 783–786.
- 25. Quisel A, Gill JM, Witherell P. Complex regional pain syndrome underdiagnosed. J Fam Pract 2005; 54: 524–532.
- 26. Brunner F, Bachmann LM, Weber U, Kessels AG, Perez RS, Marinus J, et al. Complex regional pain syndrome 1-the Swiss cohort study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2008; 9: 92.
- 27. Perez RS, Zollinger PE, Dijkstra PU, Thomassen-Hilgersom IL, Zuurmond WW, Rosenbrand KC, et al. Evidence based guidelines for complex regional pain syndrome type 1. BMC Neurol 2010; 10: 20.
- 28. Harden RN, Bruehl S, Perez RS, Birklein F, Marinus J, Maihofner C, et al. Development of a severity score for CRPS. Pain 2010; 151: 870–876.
View at PubMed