ContentList volumes - List articles in this issue
Aetiological Factors Associated with Chronic Urticaria in Children: A Systematic Review
Chronic urticaria is a distressing condition with high costs. The aim of this literature review was to assess the relative frequency of causes of chronic urticaria in childhood and to provide guidance on which laboratory tests should be performed. Using PubMed, EMBASE and Cochrane databases, the literature from 1966 to 2010 (week 25) was systematically reviewed. Data from studies conducted on children who had had urticaria for at least 6 weeks, and assessing at least 3 different causes of urticaria, were analysed by reviewers using independent extraction. Six studies, all of low quality, met the inclusion criteria. Idiopathic and physical urticaria were common. Infections, autoimmunity and allergy were also reported. We conclude that children with chronic urticaria not caused by physical stimuli should undergo tests for allergy or infections only when there is a history of cause–effect correlation. High-quality trials are warranted to evaluate the causes of chronic urticaria in childhood.
Carlo Caffarelli, Barbara Cuomo, Fabio Cardinale, Salvatore Barberi, Carlotta Povesi Dascola, Fabio Agostinis, Fabrizio Franceschini, Roberto Bernardini
Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Università di Parma, Azienda Ospedaliera-Universitaria Parma, IT-43122 Parma, Italy. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
References1. Grattan CEH, Humphreys F. Guidelines for evaluation and management of urticaria in adults and children. Br J Dermatol 2007; 157: 1116–1123.
2. Zuberbier T, Bindslev-Jensen C, Canonica W, Grattan CEH, Greaves MW, Henz BM, et al. EAACI/GA2LEN/EDF Guideline: management of urticaria. Allergy 2006: 61: 321–331.
3. Henz BM, Zuberbier T, Grabbe J, Monroe G. Urticaria. Berlin: Springer, 1998.
4. Van der Valk PG, Moret G, Klemeney LA. The natural history of chronic urticaria and angioedema in patients visiting a tertiary referral centre. Br J Dermatol 2002; 146: 110–113.
5. Khakoo G, Sofianou-Katsoulis A, Perkin MR, Lack G. Clinical features and natural history of physical urticaria in children. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2008; 19: 363–366.
6. DeLong KL, Culler Sd, Saini SS, Beck LA, Chen SC. Annual direct and indirect care costs of chronic idiopathic urticaria. Arch Dematol 2008; 144: 35–39.
7. Powell RJ, Du Toit GL, Siddique N, Leech SC, Dixon TA, Clark AT, et al. BSACI guidelines for the management of chronic urticaria and angio-oedema. Clin Exp Allergy 2007; 37: 631–650.
8. Schunemann HJ, Oxman AD, Brozek J, Glasziou P, Jaeschke R, Vist GE, et al. Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations for diagnostic test and strategies. Br Med J 2008; 336: 1106–1110.
9. Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Vist GE, Kunz R, Falck-Ytter Y, Alonso-Coello P, et al. GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. Br Med J 2008; 336: 924–926.
10. Kauppinen K, Juntunen K, Lanki H. Urticaria in children. Allergy 1984; 39: 469–472.
11. Volonakis M, Katsarou-Katsari A, Stratigos J. Ethiologic factors in childhood chronic urticaria. Ann Allergy 1992; 69: 61–65.
12. Brunetti L, Francavilla R, Miniello VL, Platzer MH, Rizzi D, Lospalluti ML, et al. High prevalence of autoimmune urticaria in children with chronic urticaria. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2004; 114: 922–977.
13. Sackesen C, Sekerel BE, Orhan FO, Kocabas CN, Tuncer A, Adalioglu G. The ethiology of different forms of urticaria in childhood. Pediatr Dermatol 2004; 21: 102–108.
14. Du Toit G, Prescott R, Lawrence P, Johar A, Brown G, Weinberg EG, et al. Autoantibodies to the high-affinity IgE receptor in children with chronic urticaria. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2006; 96: 341–344.
15. Jirapongsananuruk O, Pongpreuksa S, Sangacharoenkit P, Visitsunthorn N, Vichyanond P. Identification of the etiologies of chronic urticaria in children: a prospective study of 94 patients. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2010; 21: 508–514.
16. Meneghetti R, Gerarduzzi T, Barbi E, Ventura A. Chronic urticaria and coeliac disease. Arch Dis Child 2004; 89: 293.
17. Konstantinou GN, R. Asero, Maurer M, Sabroe RA, Schmid-Grendelmeier P, Grattan CHE. EAACI/GA2LEN task force consensus report: the autologous serum skin test in urticaria. Allergy 2009; 64: 1256–1268.
18. Thomas P, Perkin MR, Rayner N, Cox H, Fox AT, Leech S, et al. The investigation of chronic urticaria in childhood: which investigations are being performed and which are recommended? Clin Exp Allergy 2008; 38: 1061–1062.