ContentList volumes - List articles in this issue
Nasal Tip Cutaneous Metastases Secondary to Lung Carcinoma: Three Case Reports and a Review of the Literature
Cutaneous metastatic carcinoma of the nose is a rare presentation associated with lung cancer. We report here 3 cases of cutaneous metastatic carcinoma of the nose that originated from lung cancer. Two men, age 61 and 76 years, with lung cancers were referred for evaluation of a tumour on the tip of the nose. The third patient, a 57-year-old man, had developed a rosacea-like tumour on the tip of the nose; although he had no history of internal cancer, whole-body positron-emission tomography–computed tomography revealed a primary lung cancer. Skin biopsies of all 3 cases showed metastatic squamous cell carcinoma, and all primary lung cancers were squamous cell carcinomas. Only 3 patients are described here, and further reports are needed to substantiate this interesting phenomenon. When an elderly patient presents to dermatology with a tumour on the nose with or without known internal cancer, it is necessary to approach the diagnosis with caution.
Seung Min Chun, Young Chul Kim, Jee-Bum Lee, Seong-Jin Kim, Seung-Chul Lee, Young Ho Won, Sook Jung Yun
Department of Dermatology, Chonnam National University Medical School, 5 Hak-Dong, Dong-Gu, Gwangju, 501-746, Korea
References1. Spencer PS, Helm TN. Skin metastases in cancer patients. Cutis 1987; 39: 119–121.
2. Rosen T. Cutaneous metastases. Med Clin North Am 1980; 64: 885–900.
3. Brownstein MH, Helwig EB. Metastatic tumors of the skin. Cancer 1972; 29: 1298–1307.
4. Lookingbill DP, Spangler N, Helm KF. Cutaneous metastases in patients with metastatic carcinoma: a retrospective study of 4020 patients. J Am Acad Dermatol 1993; 29: 228–236.
5. Brady LW, O’Neill EA, Farber SH. Unusual sites of metastases. Semin Oncol 1977; 4: 59–64.
6. Dreizen S, Dhingra H, Chiuten D, Umsawasdi T, Valdivieso M. Cutaneous and subcutaneous metastases of lung cancer. Postgrad Med 1986; 80: 111–116.
7. Vila Justribo M, Casanova Seuma JM, Portero L, Egido R. Skin metastasis as the lst manifestation of bronchogenic carcinoma. Arch Bronconeumol 1994; 30: 314–316.
8. Rubinstein RY, Baredes S, Caputo J, Galati L, Schwartz RA. Cutaneous metastatic lung cancer: literature review and report of a tumor on the nose from a large cell undifferentiated carcinoma. Ear Nose Throat J 2000; 79: 96–97.
9. Camarasa Escrig A, Chiner Vives E, Sancho Chust JN. Clown nose as an initial manifestation of squamous-cell lung carcinoma. Arch Bronconeumol 2009; 45: 60–61.
10. Friedman I, Osborn DA. Metastatic tumors in the ear, nose, and throat region. J Laryngol Otol 1965; 79: 576–591.
11. Bernstein JM, Montgomery WW, Balogh K. Metastatic tumors to the maxilla, nose, and paranasal sinuses. Laryngoscope 1966; 76: 621–650.
12. Gault Dt, Subbuswamy SG. Metastatic tumors of the nasal tip. Br J Plast Surg 1985; 38: 570–574.
13. Nesi R, Lynfield Y. Rhinophymalike metastatic carcinoma. Cutis 1996; 57: 33–36.
14. Gal TJ, Kerschner JE. Pulmonary metastasis to the nasal tip. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1997; 117: 139.
15. De Simoni I, Iacovelli P, Lunghi F, Peris K, Chimenti S. Clown nose as a first manifestation of lung carcinoma. Acta Derm Venereol 1997; 77: 406–407.
16. Viera Mota A, Correia O, Azevedo F, Mesquita-Guimaraes J. Nasal tip metastasis revealing a Pancoast tumour. Br J Dermatol 1998; 138: 559–560.
17. Hammert WC, Champagne L, Heckler FR. Metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the nasal tip: a case report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999; 57: 186–189.
18. Mollet TW, Garcia CA, Koester G. Skin metastases from lung cancer. Dermatol Online J 2009; 15: 1.
19. Coslett LM, Katlic MR. Lung cancer with skin metastasis. Chest 1990; 97: 757–759.
20. Molina Garrido MJ, Guillén Ponce C, Soto Martínez JL, Martínez Y Sevila C, Carrato Mena A. Cutaneous metastases of lung cancer. Clin Transl Oncol 2006; 8: 330–333.
21. Hidaka T, Ishii Y, Kitamura S. Clinical features of skin metastases from lung cancer. Intern Med 1996; 35: 459–462.
22. Baston OV. The function of the vertebral veins and their role in the spread of metastases. Ann Surg 1940; 112: 138–149.
23. Flynn CJ, Danjoux C, Wong J, Christakis M, Rubenstein J, Yee A, et al. Two cases of acrometastasis to the hands and review of the literature. Curr Oncol 2008; 15: 51–58.
24. Rocconi RP, Leath CA, Johnson WM, Barnes MN, Conner MG. Primary lung large cell carcinoma metastatic to the vulva: a case report and review of the literature. Gyn Oncol 2004; 94: 829–831.
25. Zheng FF, Zhang ZY, Dai YP, Liang YY, Deng CH, Tao Y. Metatstasis to the penis in a patient with adenocarcinoma of lung, case report and literature review. Med Oncol 2009; 26: 228–232.
26. Itin PH, Heitzmann F, Stamm B. Metastasis to the nasal tip from a cervical carcinoma. Dermatology 1999; 199: 171–173.
27. Kataoka A, Nishida T, Tomioka Y, Hirai N, Ohbuchi M, Yakushiji M. A metastasis to the nasal tip from a cervical carcinoma – a case report. Kurume Med J 1998; 45: 127–131.